Activities of Eco Tourism
- Maximize recreational experience of the people through various activities.
- Minimize the impact of tourism on wildlife and its crucial habitat.
- Increase visitors’ concern for nature conservation.
- Create a sense of belongingness and public support for the conservation.
- Create opportunities for the local people to compensate for their sacrifices for conservation.
Facilities available for tourists
- Vehicle rides in the tourism zone of the core zone
- Elephant safari
- Visit to Interpretation centre at Theppakadu
- Visit to Elephant camp at Theppakadu
- Visitors would be taken on a 60 minutes ride through the tourism zone of the Tiger Reserve in buses run by the Tiger reserve management. Visitors should present themselves 1 hour before their turn.
- Please note that no private Vehicles are allowed / permitted for safari rides within the Core area of the Tiger Reserve: only department- run vehicles are engaged for safaris.
- For availability services of the vehicle safari rides, visitors are requested to approach the new reception centre at Theppakadu, located about 100 meters from the main road; and purchase tickets.The vehicle rides is on first come first serve basis.
Morning: 7.00 AM to 9.00 AM
Evening: 3.00 PM to 5.30 PM
Tariff details as on 12.02.2018
|Indian Visitors (in Rs.)||Foreign Visitors (in Rs.)|
|For Mazda vehicles ( 90 minutes)||Rs.340/- per head (Rent- 200 + GST- 10 + entry- 30 + Eco preservation- 100)||Rs.2500/- per head (Rent- 2000 + GST- 100 + entry- 300 + Eco preservation- 100)|
|For Gypsy ( 90 minutes)||Rs.4200/- per trip (Rent- 4000 + GST- 200) (Additional: entry- 30 per head + Eco preservation- 100 per head)||Rs.4200/- per trip (Rent- 4000 + GST- 200) (Additional: entry- 300 per head + Eco preservation- 100 per head)|
|For Camper ( 90 minutes)||Rs.4200/- per trip (Rent- 4000 + GST- 200) (Additional: entry- 30 per head + Eco preservation- 100 per head)||Rs.4200/- per trip (Rent- 4000 + GST- 200) (Additional: entry- 300 per head + Eco preservation- 100 per head)|
- 30 minutes elephant safari in the tourism zone.
- Current booking undertaken at Theppakadu Reception Range
- Elephant rides are subject to dry and favourable weather conditions prevailing.
Tariff details as on 12.02.2018 Indian Visitors (in Rs.) Foreign Visitors (in Rs.) Rs.1120/- per trip
(Rent- 600 + entry- 120 + Eco preservation- 400)
Rs.11600/- per trip
(Rent- 10000 + entry- 1200 + Eco preservation- 400)
Morning: 7.00 AM to 8.00 AM
Evening: 4.00 PM to 5.00 PM
Visit to Interpretation & Nature Education Centre
The future of Tiger Reserve and its flora and fauna depends significantly upon the peoples support and their cooperation. For this, awareness on wildlife conservation and importance of preserving biodiversity for survival of mankind is a must. With these important objectives we have established Interpretation centre at Theppakadu.
Visit to Elephant Camp
- Tourists are permitted to visit the famous Elephant Camp during their feeding times. This is located at Theppakadu, not far from the reception centre.
- Visitation is restricted to morning and evening.
- Visit to the elephant Camp is rewarding experience. One can learn about the feeding habits of the elephants, especially camp elephants and their routine.
- This Theppakadu Elephant Camp in Mudumalai Tiger Reserve is one of the oldest camps in the Country. It was established way back in 1927. Presently 24 Elephants are maintained in the Theppakadu Elephant Camp.
Morning: 8.30 AM to 9.00 AM
Evening: 5.30 PM to 6.00 PM
The camp elephants are engaged for patrolling the forests, joy ride for tourists, anti-depredation operations and rescue operations etc.
Best time to visit Mudumalai
All seasons throughout the year is good for visit to the reserve, except during peak summer which occurs normally in March and April, with temperature rising upto32ºC.